Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Italia at Home [Inspired by Gordon Ramsey]


 So lately I've been on a cooking kick. And because of this I have successfully devoured the 10 seasons of Hell's Kitchen I previous had not seen ( I watched 11 as it aired this year), and I also watched all of MasterChef this year. The one thing that Gordon seems to spend more time yelling about than anything else is Risotto.


Seriously, the man screams about it constantly. And I thought to myself "well, if he's so hell bent on everybody knowing how to make the shit, I will learn!"

Having NEVER attempted risotto in my life, and having only the brief knowledge of what I'd watched people cook on tv (and a glance at a few online recipes) I embarked on my risotto quest.

With this image firmly implanted in my mind:
I began



Mushroom Risotto with Caprese Salad


What you need:
Basmati Rice
Stock (chicken, vegetable, whatever)
Butter
Olive Oil
Mushrooms
Onions
Scallions
White Wine
Garlic
Salt


So I started with two pans the first with Basmati Rice (washed) and two ladles worth of vegetable stock. I then proceeded to add another ladle every time it didn't look 'wet' anymore while stirring.

In the other pan I sautéed olive oil, minced garlic, chopped onions, and scallions until they were caramelized.

I then put them in a separate container to the side.
In that same pan I then added 1/2 stick of butter, mushrooms (chopped) and sautéed
After they were cooked I then threw the onion/garlic/scallion mix back into the pan and stirred. I then topped it off with half a cup of white wine.

By this time my risotto finally looked fluffy (and didn't taste crunchy) 

I poured the contents of one pan into the other.
Stirred.
Vwallah!


It turned out PRETTY DAMN GOOD. I was proud.



Yes chef!


No comments:

Post a Comment