Monday, February 23, 2015

Tutu Mania!

So everyone on Pinterest has been seeing the adorable homemade tutus that are "so cheap and easy" according to every pin description. 

And, I can tell you, they are pretty easy to accomplish. It doesn't take a lot of skill. What it does take a lot of is:
Time
Patience
Tulle

First:
Determine what you want

Do you want a tutu that stands out like a ballerina? 
Do you want a knee length tutu skirt? A full length one?
Do you want a tutu dress?
Do you want a tutu table skirt?


Second:
How big of an area are you covering?

Is it a baby?
Toddler?
Child?
Small adult?
Large adult?
Side table?
8' round?
12' rectangle?


Third:
How do you want it to attach?

Do you want it on a ribbon you can tie?
On elastic you can slip on?
A "tutu" top or headband?


Fourth:
Materials

Ok. So. Once you've answered your core questions you get to start to look for materials. I will tell you personally I've gotten things from China (eBay), save-on-crafts, & Joann fabric.   There are TONS of places to look. Those are just my go-tos. 


To give you an idea of how much tulle it truly takes I'll post my completed tutus below with approximate yards and time. 

Custom "ballerina style" tutu skirt for infant and headband. 

1 bolt of pink tulle
54" x 25 yards
1 spool of 2" zebra ribbon
1 baby headband

Time: about 2 hours





My neice's 1/2 birthday baby carrier skirt

This started out as an attempt at a table skirt. I ended up running out of tulle. 
1 bolt (54"x25 yd) white tulle
1 bolt sky blue tulle
1 bolt pastel blue tulle
5 yards of 1/4" thick elastic. 

Time: about 2 hours



Flower girl skirts

1 6 month floor length flowing skirt
1 6 year old floor length flowing skirt

2 yellow knit headbands
1 bolt (54"x25yd) stiff burgundy tulle
1 bolt normal burgundy tulle
2 large spools (6"x100yd)
2 yards burgundy lace cut in strips

Time: about 6 hours






Adult tulle skirt


4 bolts (54"x25yd) light pink tulle
2 bolt (54"x25yd) taupe tulle
1 large bolt (60"x40yd) ivory tulle
1 spool 2" ivory satin ribbon

Time: about 8 hours

This guy was a beast. I'm 5'7 and it was knee length. I'm a size 16 and it went around me. It was a MONSTER. 



But it turned out beautifully for my boudoir shoot. ((Warning almost nudity. Covered boobs in hands.))




**********
******
********
******



Close if you don't want to see my hold my boobs in my hands!



*******
****
*********
*************










Ok you were warned. 










Good luck in all your tulle adventures!
Tell or show me your tulle tales in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment