Thursday, October 11, 2012

Watermelon Pin Cushion

No catchy titles today, ladies and gents just pure crafty fun.

So this is a DIY project that I just created myself. So, it goes on my DIY I Have to try! board:
http://pinterest.com/marlipaige/diy-i-have-to-try/


First, I didn't have a pin cushion anymore so I thought "self, what do I have to make a pin cushion out of? And what would be cute?"

Things I found:
polyfil
red felt
green silk
pipe cleaners
watermelon gingham ribbon
Needle, Thread, Scissors

Now feel free to make your own version with different things you just have around. But, I decided to make a cute little watermelon pin cushion.


All in all, working at a leisurely pace and watching Downton Abby as I went, this took me about 2.5 hours. I could've done it MUCH quicker. But I was just enjoying it.


STEP ONE
Cut shape in felt
Easiest thing to do is double it over and keep the bottom part connected so you don't have to sew needlessly.

See? If you opened it back up it would look like a butterfly


STEP TWO
Sew everything together except the top.

STEP THREE
Polyfil!

STEP FOUR
Sew top together


STEP FIVE
If you're using ribbon for one decorative side like I did, add that.
I added a second layer,
So I had one ribbon side, and one red side




STEP SIX
Get out your pipe cleaners (I used 3)


STEP SEVEN
Braid those jokers!



STEP EIGHT
Sew one edge of the green fabric you have onto the pipe cleaners


STEP NINE
Wrap it up tight and sew the rest of it on, securing all the fabric curled around the pipe cleaner.
Look, it's a caterpillar! 
No, really, it's your rhine.


STEP TEN
Sew the rhine onto the watermelon


TADA!






No comments:

Post a Comment