Sunday, September 16, 2012

Perfect Curls

So I am always on the lookout for how to make my hair perfectly curly like old hollywood glamour. I have a hair board on pinterest that is dedicated to such things. And pulling from that and my own experience, I'll show you how I get perfect curls.


This is a LENGTHY process. So if you're looking for the short version...try someone else. But..I have wavy hair naturally, mostly straight, fine, and difficult to keep curl BUT THIS WORKS.


"Perfect Curls"

So this is a combination of many different pins on my hair board. You can go look at all the tips on perfect curls or you can just listen to what I did.

My hair was a little dirty (24 hours since washing).
I put volumizing mouse in it.
Then I put it in hot rollers.


Hello hot rollers!
As I rolled each piece of hair I sprayed it with medium hold hair spray as it went into the roller.
I left the rollers in for an hour.
As I took each piece out I once again hairsprayed.
Then...I pincurled!

Basically a pincurl is just the curl that already came out of your hot roller, and you just twist it back up around your finger and bobby pin it to your head.

Full disclosure, this is neither my head nor my picture, but I wanted to show you a pincurl. And apparently I have no pictures of myself with them.


See how it's just a nice flat little spiral? This is also the best way to do your hair when wearing wigs because it keeps it flat against your head.

Alrighty. Well you just use a single bobby pin to pin it or you criss cross bobby pins for extra security. And then you go to sleep! (If you don't have time to sleep on them, then just leave them in at least half an hour and continue to follow the steps below. However, for best results, leave them in overnight)

(no, my hair is not pincurled in this picture, but it should STILL BE while you sleep. This was just an excuse to put up a cute pic of my doggie and I snuggling)

Ok, wake up the next morning. Give it a quick all over spray with hairspray again. Take the bobby pins out.

Hi Crazy curly hair!

Ok, so I spray it AGAIN. I know, this seems like overkill, but for people like me whose hair won't stay curly...it's not. Then I turn my head over and run my hands through it and kinda give it a hand-toussle messy tease.

Now, for a Cosplay outfit (River Song from Doctor Who) I continue to tease it because hey! she has crazy curly hair!





BUT if I'm wearing it in real life I just hand tousle it like that, give it a final spray, and use a comb to tame any crazies sticking out. Below are varying degrees of tousling I did. The first instead of tousling I retouched the less curly spots with the curling iron. The second is a light tousle. The third is a full shake out and tousle with my hands.



And my hair will hold up the curl (losing some curl and just gaining body / wave per about every 10 hours) for up to 48 hours without washing it. Different hair will perform differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment