Sunday, September 30, 2012

Ribbons in Her Hair

Saw this adorble pin that had a waterfall braid that was tied off with a ribbon (and the ribbon was also the headband) for a side pony.

http://pinterest.com/pin/141089400796183770/

I decided to do my own variations on this:


My first try was actually just pinning the ribbon as a headband and then bowing it off at the top of the braid and braiding the remaining ribbon down. I was less than satisfied.

This way took 15 minutes and minimal effort.

Take 2 I waterfalled the back, tied the bow, and continued the braid down still integrating the ribbon.

This way took 20 minutes and medium effort (mostly because of the waterfall on the back of my head)

Take three I did the same maneuver, but I moved the bow down to the bottom of the braid.



Better views of the side and back


This took 35 minutes and medium / hard effort because I had to keep redoing the waterfall on the back of my head to make it look decent. I did not have a mirror behind and in front at this time, and it made it REALLY hard. 

Basically, if you'd like to braid a ribbon into your hair and have it as your headband, I think the bow looks better at the bottom. Or perhaps just try like the original pinner did...waterfall, bow, pony. However, I did like the way the blue looked in my braid.


BIG TIPS:
If you're going to use the same ribbon for braid and headband:
1. PIN IT IN!      You absolutely must bobby pin it to both sides of your head before you begin the waterfall braid or it will fall out.

2. Have access to a mirror in front and behind you.     I'm lucky to have a mirror front closet that is split doors so I can have a front and back mirror to do back of head braids. If you don't have this, it will be harder for you to accomplish.


3.  Have spare bobby pins!    There will be little whispies that insist on getting out of line. You need bobby pins to secure them back into place. Just twist as you work them into the braid, and they'll be almost seamless.



Happy Hairdos!

No comments:

Post a Comment