Sunday, July 7, 2013

Updating Thrift Shop Goodies

So everyone loves a bargain. I love goodwill because it is great at that. However, sometimes your bargain buys aren't EXACTLY what you wanted. I found that to be true of my $3 lamp.

See? Just not pretty. Plain, bland, blah. 

I started with glittering the top screw:

Fill bowl with blue and purple glitter (it's what I had)

cover top in mod podge (that's what the little dobber in there was for)


and roll around in there. And you get this!



Prettyful!



Ok, step two: the lamp shade.

I had music note fabric that I loved and have been looking for a reason to use. 
It came from IKEA. You could buy it by the yard, and i got some remnant pieces for cheaper.

So I put a bead of hot glue along the rim of one side and pressed the fabric in.
Then I would continue on all four sides until they were secure.
Then glue excess on the insides of the top and bottom of the shade.





You can see how it's glued inside the top of the shade over the edge.





I layered the fabric different ways on different sides to create the desired effect.




And then I made an adorable little bow with a resin rose on it and glued that sucker on the front!
(I may or may not go back at some point and glue ribbon around it)



But for now. SO much cuter than it was! I no longer hate it, and I now have light.




No comments:

Post a Comment